Sunday, July 19, 2009

World Eskimo -Indian Olympics

I got to cross off number 13 on my list of things I wanted to do before I left Alaska.

I made it to the World Eskimo-Indian Olympics this weekend and it was truly interesting.

I watched the Ear Pull, which is essentially a tug of war between two people with a string wrapped around one ear. Ouch!

They also had a pageant with some cute little kids in native dress. It was really hot outside though and I felt sorry for the kiddos. They had to be baking in their outfits.There were booths full of handmade goods. Jewelry, figurines, food.

I chose this set of nesting bowls. I have always had a thing for little bowls and boxes. I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to help myself.

I would have liked to see more of the events, but they were spread out over 4 days. We went during the day, when it was less crowded and free. The evening events were supposed to be even better - with dancing and demonstrations along with the finals and award ceremonies. I just wasn't up to braving the crowd and trying to sit in the stadium seats with all of the kids.

We still had a great time!!

No comments: