Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Day of Peace

Saturday was wonderful.

I didn't do anything very special. Nothing too exciting.

But I did it alone. Completely alone.

That was a very strange feeling. I have been alone so little in the past 10 months since Andy left for Iraq. The kids are always with me - constantly.

The Army offers free respite care to spouses whose husbands' are deployed. One Saturday a month, you can drop your kids off from 9-5 for free (and also one Thurs./Tues. evening a month). Amazing, huh? And much needed.

I have used respite care in the past, but throughout this past year, the girls had art class right smack in the middle of the day, which only allowed me to use it for an hour or two. Also, I didn't like to leave Tori when she was little. I'm just silly like that.

This past Saturday, I dropped them all off at 9 and didn't pick them up until 4. It was soooooooo nice.

I went to the store and browsed the bra section. I can't even pass that part of the store without snickers and giggles from the kids...

I got a coffee and perused the book store.

I went to the library and I ventured past the children's section. I wasn't rushed and I was able to leave with an armload of books - for me and only me.

I went to Old Navy and actually tried some things on in the dressing rooms. I never do that. I usually just buy things and then return them if I don't like them. I mean really, who wants to be crammed into a dressing room with 5 kids laughing at you trying to squeeze into a pair of pants? Not me.

I still had a lot of time left after all of that, because I wasn't slowed down by unloading kids and loading strollers, strapping everyone into their car seats, making lots of bathroom trips, keeping kids from touching everything we pass, etc. You get the picture.

I hadn't remembered how easy a morning of shopping could be.

Anyway, I decided to head to the movies. Yes, I was alone, and yes I had already gone and seen Harry Potter earlier in the week. Two movies in one week must be a record for me. I usually only go once or twice a year.

I ended up seeing "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock. It's a chick flick and I knew that I had better get them all out of my system before Andy gets back. :)

I enjoyed it. I was good and didn't spend tons of money on popcorn and a drink again. This time I opted for a monster box of Hot Tamales. I no longer have any taste buds.

The best thing of all is that the kids did wonderful at respite care and I now know that I can easily use it again! Maybe next time I will actually plan something fun and exciting. White water rafting? Sky Diving? Ok, so maybe not that exciting...

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I am so proud of you Jen!!! You need a break every once and awhile to keep your sanity. It is good to get some ME time :)