Thursday, December 18, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs: Winter Treats

THEME

This week I want to invite you to share one of your favourite winter treats. A treat you look forward to making when the snow falls and include the recipe for it so others can try it out.

This is a recipe I got from my mom. I only make it at Christmas time, so I think of it as a Winter Treat. I am not sure if this was a family recipe passed down or not (I have Swedish and Norwegian roots), but I enjoy making it nevertheless :)

Scandinavian Kringler:

Ingredients (split between dough, topping, and frosting):

1 c. flour, 1/2 c. butter or margarine (chilled), 2 Tbsp ice water

1 c. water, 1/2 c. butter or margarine, 1 c. flour, 3 eggs, 1/2 tsp. almond extract

1 c. powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp butter or margarine (softened), 1/2 tsp. almond extract, 2-3 Tbsp. milk or cream, sliced almonds for topping

Measure flour and put into bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut 1/2 c butter into flour until particles are the size of a pea. Sprinkle with water, mixing lightly with a fork until flour mixture is moistened and a soft dough forms. Divide dough in half. On an ungreased cookie sheet, press each 1/2 into a 12"X3" strip.

In a medium pan, heat water and 1/2 c. butter to boiling. Remove from heat and immediately stir in 1 c. flour until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Stir in 1/2 tsp. almond extract. Spoon mixture over crust, spreading to 3/4" from edges. Bake 50-60 minutes. Cool.

Blend frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cooled kringler and sprinkle with sliced almonds.

Here is a not-so-fabulous picture of some that I made last year. Doesn't look so impressive, but I assure you that it tasted really good and that is all that counts! You notice that one of the loaves is already gone.....

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Yum! I love those, I will have to make some!

tammy said...

Oh, that recipe reminds me of something we used to make called almond puffs. It is very similar in the way it is made and the way it looks. I will have to try this. :)