Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Drive-Thru Living

With the cold weather and snow arriving in full force this week, I can't help but wish that I never had to leave the warmth and safety of my car.

It is very difficult to make sure that all 5 kids are warmly dressed (remembering every mitten and hat). Then I have to try to get all of them out of the car as quickly as possible and into the building. It is no small task.

In the store (or house, class etc.), they of course have to take their coats, hats, scarves, mittens, etc. off or else they will burn up. When we have finished our business, then I have to make sure that everything is back on them properly and I have to make a mad dash to the car with all of them (and usually a cart full of stuff).

This is proving to be very challenging - especially for those errands where I only have one or two things to pick up. It ends up taking me longer to get in and out of the car than the actual shopping! That can be frustrating.

Why can't every place have a drive-thru? I could just sit back with the heat cranked in the car, happy kids in the backseat watching a DVD, and hand the person at the window my order. Then I could pull forward and they could load me up. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

I realize that we Americans are too lazy as it is, so this probably doesn't need to happen :) However, I can't help but imagine how much easier I could get things done!
I would especially like one at the Post Office, Sam's Club, and the Commissary.

I suppose I could become a recluse and just never leave the house. I could order my groceries online and I wouldn't have to go anywhere until late Spring :)

We all know that isn't going to happen though.

No comments: