Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pumpkin Time

There are some things about living in Alaska that bug me.

One of them is the fact that I can't take the kiddos to the pumpkin patch. It's just not the same getting them from the store. I'd love to let them take a ride on a wagon, pick their pumpkins, and then maybe go through a corn maze. I really miss that.

But I suppose they can't grow pumpkins and corn in the fall when it looks like this outside:


I bought our pumpkins from the commissary and they were 50 cents a pound (which seems a tad expensive to me since they weigh a TON). We decided since all the kids are sick and we're stuck at home, it would be the perfect day to carve them. Something to cheer everyone up. :)

Kate cracks me up. She is so easily disgusted. This was more than she could handle.


She decided that she would give it a try though. She pulled on a pair of latex gloves and shoved her hand in the pumpkin. One or two handfuls was all she could do. Then she ran to the bathroom to wash her hands. Did I mention that she had gloves on?? I just thought that was so funny.

Ellie on the other hand had no qualms about getting slimy and gooey.

Here is the finished product, on our front porch. I wonder what they'll look like after a few days of being frozen!!
Next year, I have promised the kids a trip to the pumpkin patch!!

3 comments:

Rose said...

They look really good. We only did one this year and it looks really lonely.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Adorable! And I guess I shouldn't complain about not being able to get to the pumpkin patch because of the rain...

Anonymous said...

Those look so cheerful. those driving by will enjoy seeing those pumpkin faces.
Did you wash the seeds and roast them? Maybe not....that takes time and not much fun when the kiddos are sick. Hope they get well soon. Mom W.