Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Little Couch Potatoes

I don't want my kids to be couch potatoes. I don't wish them to be planted in front of the TV all day long.

We have gone years without cable and it doesn't bug me a bit.

But I like to put in a DVD now and then. And there are times (especially while I'm single parenting) that I would love for the kids to sit down and be quiet in front of the TV for a little while.

The DVD player in our living room died a couple of months ago. It won't play, or even eject what's in it. So, I had been sending the kids downstairs to the school room to watch a movie every once in a while. The thing is, there isn't a comfy couch down there. It's a dining room table and chairs - not exactly very relaxing.

A couple of weeks ago, that DVD/VHS player decided to die also. That meant NO TV. At all.

I had thought that maybe they would just magically work one day. No little elf showed up at night and fixed them though.

Last night, I hit my frustration level. I was really tired after a day of cleaning up throw-up (Lexie had the stomach flu) and trying to chase around a very rambunctious Nick. I just wanted them to go and watch a movie so that I could have a minute or two to myself. Then I remembered that neither of them worked. How annoying.

So, I admitted defeat and went out and bought a new one. It is even set up for Netflix, so that I can play movies from my computer through my TV. How cool is that? I didn't think I was going to be able to get it all set up and working (I'm mechanically challenged at times), but I surprised myself and figured it out. I even got the DVD remote to actually work for the TV too. I don't think we've ever had that. :)

And now I'm laying here in bed for a minute, enjoying some peace and quiet. I'm letting the kids veg out since it's the first night of TV in quite some time. Hopefully, I'll have a relaxing night. :)

No comments: