Saturday, August 8, 2009

Snail Mail

So Slow, c.1958

Mail to and from Alaska is truly snail mail and it's one of the things that I definitely won't miss when we move.

Everything takes longer to get here. Much longer. And costs more. Much more.

There are many places that won't even ship here.

I sold some stuff on ebay last month (heavy books) and sent it via media mail. I feel so bad for the poor people I sent it to. They'll probably be getting their books in time for NEXT school year It is seriously that slow. Only priority from now on - that's for sure.

We ordered painted lady caterpillars from Insect Lore back in mid July. They were great and shipped them right out within a couple of days.

I just received 5 BUTTERFLIES in the mail today.

The poor things were in a box for 3 weeks. Sitting in their own waste. The box was clearly marked "LIVE SPECIMENS" or something of the sort. I don't know what took them so long to get here, but we missed the metamorphosis - the whole entire point of ordering them. All three of the girls were supposed to observe it for science experiments in their studies this year.

I have to say, that Insect Lore was great and graciously sent me out another one - free of charge - even though it was not their fault that the post office decided to take it's time with the caterpillars. I greatly appreciated that and I highly recommend them!! Hopefully our next set has a nice quick journey to Alaska. :)

No comments: