Friday, March 6, 2009

Snow Day

After finishing some math and grammar, I officially called the school day off on account of snow. We must have gotten about a foot of it yesterday.

And unfortunately, it wasn't a let's-go-out-and-sled kind of a snow day, but more of a if-mom-doesn't-shovel-the-driveway-we're-trapped-in-our-house kind of a snow day.

Definitely not as fun. This is one of those moments when I really wish that I had a husband here to do the dirty work. :)

So, I put Tori down for a nap, put a movie in for Nick and left Ellie in charge. I bundled up and grabbed my flimsy plastic snow shovel and got down to business.

My driveway isn't super-long, but it's not short either. You could probably park 3 or 4 cars in a row and it's the width of a 2 car garage. I never use one side of the driveway since I don't use Andy's vehicle while he's gone. The snow had drifted to that side and was seriously up to my mid-thigh.

Here it is about halfway done. Notice I had the garbage out? While I was shoveling they called to tell me that they couldn't pick it up this week....

Oh, was I in for a workout. I was out there shoveling for 3 1/2 hours without a break. Ellie was nice enough to bring me some hot cocoa - although I had to beg her for some water instead since I was sweating so much! I wasn't a bit cold, that's for sure. It was funny though, because each time I would go to take a sip of my water, it would be frozen over.

Lexie came out for a while to visit me, but went in since it wasn't very exciting.

Lexie, admiring the pile :)

I could have cried when the snow plow came by and dumped even more snow for me to shovel. I kept thinking, how hard would it be for him to turn into my driveway for a sec and clear it for me? Really? He just passed me by...

So, I cleared the majority of the new snow off, but was left with about 4 inches of ice. I began chipping away at it, and couldn't help but think how ironic it was that we were studying glaciers and icebergs yesterday and here I was chipping mini icebergs off of my glacial driveway. :)

Glacial chunks coming off of my driveway. See my trusty shovel in the background? I'm surprised it didn't break.

It started coming off in huge chunks, but I was ready to go inside at this point. So, here I am, about to hop in a hot shower. It hasn't even been an hour and the soreness is starting to set in. I predict that I can't even move when I wake up in the morning....

I had better not be too sore though, because my deck is the next project:


Notice that there isn't any snow on the railing? It got too deep and fell off.

5 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

What adventure, living in Alaska! I wish I could swap places with you for 6 months, just to see what it would be like!

Family G said...

Oh my, I feel for you. Isn't there anybody you could hire to shovel or plow your driveway? As much snow as you're getting it sure would be worth it.

Scribbit said...

We've been shoveling too--or more correctly I've been sending David out to shovel :)

Anonymous said...

Great job BABE! You hae definately earned a calgon moment...

love
andy

Andrea said...

Great job Jen, You sure got your workout for the day or maybe even for the week :)