Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How I spent my morning

This is not how I envisioned spending my entire morning. Slaving over a pile of boards and screws which I was supposed to magically turn into a desk.

First of all, getting the box upstairs was near impossible. It was really heavy. I had to take the pieces out of the box and make about 4 trips to get it all into Kate's room.

Does this look like any fun??? Didn't think so...

Then I realized that our electric screwdriver was broken and I needed to get a new one (which I did yesterday).

So, this morning I was out of excuses and I had to just do it. I put the movie Cars on for Nick to watch and made the girls work on their math and grammar out in the living room while I got started.

I opened the instructions and one of the first things it said was "don't use an electric screwdriver", so I didn't. The red marks on the palm of my right hand attest to that.

Have you ever seen so many little numbered pieces in your life?? Good grief!!

It took me the entire morning to get the thing put together, but it's done and I'm proud of myself. Kate now has a quiet place to do her independent work. I think that this is going to be so helpful for her, because she is very easily distracted and has a hard time sitting in the same room with her siblings who are working on different things at the same time.


The finished product (with a new lamp too!)

I have yet again proved to myself that I can do things outside my comfort zone. Thanks honey for giving me the opportunity to see that. I will gladly give you these responsibilities back when you return home though :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no doubt that you would accomplish this task! You are indeed "Super Mom". It is such a great pleasure to be your friend!
Love, Michelle

Andrea said...

Great job Jen, I know you can do so many things, but you just don't know yet :) It looks great and Katie is so tall now. I cannot wait to see you all.

Andrea said...

Great job Jen, I know you can do so many things, but you just don't know yet :) It looks great and Katie is so tall now. I cannot wait to see you all.