Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Alaskans are a hearty breed

Interior of Arctic Igloo, Churchill, Manitoba, Canada by Stuart Westmoreland
Interior of Arctic Igloo, Churchill, Manitoba, Canada


The people of Alaska never cease to amaze me.

It was in the low negative 20s today. A pretty typical winter day in the interior of Alaska.

I thought I was going to become an ice statue as I pumped gas this afternoon. I was hopping from one leg to another, rubbing my gloved hands together to keep from freezing in place while I waited for my tank to fill.

When I looked up, I saw a woman prying the store's ice chest open, buying a few bags of ice. I thought that was a bit ironic.

Then, I spotted another woman walking into the store wearing nothing but tennis shoes, shorts, and a blouse. I am not very good about bundling up, but that was a bit extreme!

I jumped back in my truck without completely filling the tank, because I got too cold. As I drove away, I passed a man riding his bicycle.

Did I mention that it was almost negative 30 out?

No comments: