Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Homeschool Memoirs - Fan the Flame


It seems like many homeschoolers begin to see the fire die out around this time of year. Yet it doesn’t always take a whole lot to get the flames burning bright again. It may be one small change in your routine. Maybe it’s trying out an idea you’ve been pondering for awhile. Or you might need to throw on a bit of kindling on to fuel that fire.

THEME: Let’s see some sparks of imagination as we encourage one another, sharing ways to get your homeschool efforts cooking again. What is something you’ve done, or thought about doing, to “fan the flame” of waning motivation?

Yes, this is the time of year when flames start to need some fanning.

The major problem that I have been having is in being organized. Last summer, I did a pretty good job of entering in our first 6 months worth of school assignments into Homeschool Tracker.

The problems is that I stopped there (school started and my hubby left for Iraq) and I never went back to enter in the second half of the year. It's easy enough for math and grammar pages, but when it comes to our history and science, I really need those assignments planned out ahead of time, or else I'm rushing around the night before (or in the morning) trying to get things ready. It's really draining.

So, my job for this coming weekend (after art classes and a birthday party) is to get at least the next couple of months worth of lessons entered in so that I can relax a bit!

Besides that, we're doing fine. The kids are still interested in school (well except for Latin!)

We're all anxious for some warmer weather. Getting done by May (when it finally gets nice here!) motivates us to keep going every day. We're looking forward to taking mid-May through mid-July off before starting again with the next school year.

I think maybe this weekend I will pull out all of this year's notebooks full of work and have the kids look through it. I hope that looking at what they have accomplished will motivate them to keep going....

5 comments:

6intow said...

I definitely agree. We start out the year with great intentions and a headstart on planning and then it wanes. Sometimes we just need to take a breath and dive back into. Great to remember how much is still getting done even when we are in the doldrums.

I'm itching for that warm weather, too, but we at least have glimmers of it now and then. We hit freezing sometimes now -- heatwave!

Great idea to pull out all you have done and look it over together. I just might do that, too. Relive some of those memories we just recently created and probably already forgot!

Thanks,
Erin

Anonymous said...

We are looking forward to the warm weather too! I keep telling the kids we don't want to be doing this in June and July do we? Trying to push them and me along. Love your blog, it's beautiful!

Angela

Anonymous said...

I can't complain this year, but we have had that problem in years past.

I love your blog, it is gorgeous! I have to check out your links about Alaska, as we are studying the Iditarod for March this year!

Dana said...

This theme could not have come at a better time! Thanks for sharing your motivations. I could certainly use a pick-me-up. :)

Mary Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed reading your post, and your blog is really nice!

I usually have to redo everything for January and beyond. (Well, I don't completely redo everything, but I take some time to reevaluate what we're doing, what's working, what's not working, what we need to be doing, etc., and go from there.)