Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pluto, Dwarf Planets, and the Kuiper Belt


We have finished up talking about Uranus and Neptune and we are moving on to the Kuiper Belt and Dwarf Planets. It is hard for me to teach these things that I know absolutely nothing about. Growing up, I (along with everyone else) was taught that Pluto was a planet :) Apparently it isn't anymore!

New things are constantly being found out about space and many of the space-related books that I own are now out-of-date. I have ordered a new book and we are looking at various websites for more updated information on this subject.

Here is some stuff that might be helpful:

New Horizons Pluto-Kuiper Belt Mission Did you know that there is currently an unmanned mission on its way to Pluto and beyond? It has already passed Jupiter earlier this year. It should be passing Pluto in 2015. I can't wait to see what they find out! This website had beautiful pictures and videos pertaining to this mission.

Another website with news and pictures about Pluto and the New Horizons Mission.

Here is an article on the mission.

Information on the Kuiper Belt.

No comments: