Thursday, June 12, 2008

Land of the Midnight Sun

Climber Watches the Midnight Sun Set from High Camp on Denali, Alaska by Bill Hatcher
Climber Watches the Midnight Sun Set from High Camp on Denali, Alaska

Living in the "Land of the Midnight Sun" has its perks: the electric bill is low (who needs lights?) and you can work or play outside until late into the night. But honestly right now it's driving me crazy. It's midnight and my 2 and 4 year olds are still awake. The sun is still up (it doesn't set until 12:39 this morning and then rises again at at 3 am) and they think they should be up also :) I have to say that even I have a hard time going to sleep at night this time of year. Something in my head just tells me that I have to be up and doing something since it's light out. Of course in the morning it's a different story. After staying up so late, all of us are exhausted in the morning and want to sleep in. I'm not quite sure what to do. I guess we'll just deal with it for the time being. This of course will all change when winter comes and we feel like hibernating again :) I should be thankful for the summer sun and the warmer weather (and I truly am!)

No comments: