Sunday, January 17, 2010

Anticipation


This is our year for travel.

These past few nights, I've been starting to put together a loose itinerary for our trip this spring.

We usually don't plan our drives out. We just hop in the car and drive until we can't drive anymore and then stop for a few hours at a motel. I can usually talk Andy into stopping at some tourist attraction or another, but we rarely take our time.

This time, it's going to be different.

We have a full 30 days to make our way down to Savannah and we're going to meander our way there.

We will be stopping in Montana to visit my sister and Kansas to visit Andy's family. The rest is all vacation. :)

Here are some of the places that we're thinking of visiting:

Edmonton, Alberta (they have the largest mall in the world there!)
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
Devil's Tower, Wyoming
Mt. Rushmore, South Dakota
Wall, South Dakota
Badlands National Park, South Dakota
St. Louis, Missouri (Gateway Arch and maybe the art museum)
Ft. Knox, Kentucky (they have a tank museum there that my husband is dying to see!)
Louisville, Kentucky
Mammoth Caves National Park, Kentucky
Niagara Falls, Lockport, Old Fort Niagara and Silver Lake, New York
Indiana County, Pennsylvania (for genealogy)
Hershey, Pennsylvania (We have to go on a chocolate tour!)
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Winchester, Virginia
Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia (Monticello)
Appomattox, Virginia
Lynchburg, Virginia
Roanoke, Virginia (Museums and genealogy)
The Blue Ridge Parkway
Asheville, North Carolina (The Biltmore)
Great Smoky Mountain National Park (NC and TN)

As you can see, we are not taking a very direct route to Savannah.

I had been thinking about visiting New York, Boston, DC, and Philadelphia, but we decided to pass by the big cities this time and we'll make another trip to see them after we've been settled in for a while.

So, any other suggestions for places to stop? Anything that is close to this route that we just have to see??

I have never been East of the Mississippi before. I've been to Europe, but we flew OVER the East Coast. This is all a wonderful new adventure for me!!

And if that weren't exciting enough, I'm also going to be driving to Washington state and back in August for my little brothers wedding.

And we've promised the kids a trip to Disney World later this year.

In the past 3 years, I have left the Fairbanks area ONCE. We took one trip to Anchorage and Seward. Other than that, I've seen the same places, stores, roads, etc. for the past 3 years. I am SOOOOOO ready for this!!! :)

3 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

PLEASE let me know when/if you come to the Smokies! I would love to meet you!

I didn't see Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown on your list. Well worth the stop, unless you are just going to drive up there from Savannah later.

Beth said...

Oh my! I am so excited for you guys. It sounds like an awesome trip, and one that we'd all like to take too. :)

I live in Lancaster County PA (and only 20 min from Hershey) so if you have any questions, feel free to ask away. There's so much to do in this are.

p.s. My son would love that tank museum too. I'm curious to see what he thought of it once you stop there.

Jennifer said...

Thanks guys!! As my trip is closer and I start making more definite plans, I'll get back with you both. :)

Yes, we really want to do Williamsburg and Jamestown. We're hoping to visit them when we head to DC at a later time.

All of this history is so exciting to me! Growing up on the West coast, it just isn't quite the same. And here in Alaska it's another world. Any museums or historical places have to do with the gold rush, Inuits, or dog mushing. It is interesting, but there isn't much variety. :)