Sunday, November 1, 2009

Review: Startwrite



I have bright, intelligent children. They are ahead in many subjects.

One of the areas that they are definitely behind in is handwriting though.

I suppose it's my own fault. I have to admit that I don't particularly have the patience to stand and watch my 5 year old write her letters out one at a time. I tend to walk away and do something else. And they get sloppy and careless.

I have decided that we need to tackle this problem this next quarter. I have ordered a great program called Startwrite. I can make my own handwriting worksheets (in cursive, manuscript, or italic) and print them out as I need them.

The cool thing is that I can have them write what I want - poetry, their names, addresses, etc. as opposed to what is written in a generic workbook. You can even add clip art to make the pages pretty.

You also have the option to print dotted letters or letters with arrows telling which direction to write. I am hoping that this will help out a bit while I'm not looking over their shoulders.

I have already printed out a couple of practice pages and Kate was very excited to be my guinea pig and try it out. She has been begging to start learning cursive and so she devoured her first worksheet.

I think that this is going to be a great addition to our school day! They have a free trial, so check it out for yourself!

1 comment:

momtofivekids said...

I'm going to check it out!