Monday, August 24, 2009

Art: Still Life

First of all, I have to say that I love all of the cool art supplies we purchased this year. Our new favorite thing is watercolor crayons. You color with them and then paint over them with water. The effect is neat - and much easier than actually watercoloring with paints (in my opinion).

Today, we did a still life. I just grabbed a bunch of interesting things from around the house and put them in the middle of the table. All three girls drew what they saw and then colored them in.

Here is what was on the table:


Ellie's interpretation:


Kate's version:


Lexie's masterpiece:


I think that they all did a wonderful job!!!

We couldn't stop there though. When the art supplies come out, they tend to continue drawing.
Lexie's bird:

Ellie's sketch of an old man:

I had them listening to their history CDs while they worked (Story of the World and Mystery of History). I like to multitask. :)

I also read them a couple of fairy tales of Charles Perrault since we're studying France this week. Wow, are the originals different from the glossed over versions that we usually hear! Did you know that the prince's mother in Sleeping Beauty was part ogre and wanted to eat her daughter-in-law and grandchildren? Yikes! And there was no happy ending for poor Little Red Riding Hood. The kids enjoyed comparing the versions they had heard with the ones I read today.

No comments: