Friday, April 24, 2009

Oh, the sweet smell of....

Rain.

Yes it rained today in Fairbanks. It seems like it's been ages since I've smelled rain on the pavement and the dirt.

Maybe it's the Washingtonian in me, but I really love that smell. And I actually like a slow drizzle. Call me crazy.

The snow isn't gone yet, but its days are numbered.

Each day, a small portion of it melts. It's almost completely gone from my roof. Soon we will have a yard again. A yard full of leaves that I need to rake. The funny thing is that we raked in the fall - a couple of times. Unfortunately, the first snow came in September, before all of the leaves fell, so now there are tons of them that have been hiding under the snow for the past 7 months. I'm just glad that I don't have to clean up after the dog this year. Wow, was that a mess!! The only think I need to shovel out of the yard was left by the moose...

We planted more seeds today in the mini-greenhouses inside. Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, wildflowers, lavender, mint, basil, thyme, rosemary, chives, and various flowers. The kids picked them all out. As soon as we can get into the greenhouse, I will move them in there. I don't have any garden area in the yard, so the greenhouse will have to do. It has large raised beds, so I think that it will work through the summer. I just hope that we can actually get some things to ripen before it gets cold again!

No comments: