Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Whole Lot of Shakin' Goin' On

Ok, so maybe not a whole lot of shakin', but enough to feel!

Late last night I was sitting on the computer, when I thought I heard something from upstairs - but I wasn't sure what. Pretty soon, Ellie came running down to tell me that we had just had an earthquake. She said that her bunk bed and the things in her room were shaking.

We checked online, and sure enough - we had just had a magnitude 4 earthquake about 80 miles NW of Fairbanks.

Being reminded that we do indeed live in an earthquake hotspot is probably a good thing. We found the Alaska Earthquake Information Center online, so now I know where to look for recent earthquake activity and for tips on how to be prepared in case "the big one" were to strike. The 1964 earthquake that hit Anchorage was devastating (a 9.2!!!). Let's hope that doesn't happen while we live here!!

No comments: