Monday, March 23, 2009

Deployment Milestone

Today is not only Nick's birthday, it is also marks 6 months since Andy left for Iraq.

He already had his R&R leave, so we don't have that to look forward to anymore.

But, it is a good feeling to know that it's all down hill from here.

I have almost made it through the entire cold, dark winter alone. Well, I guess technically I have, but it sure doesn't feel like spring quite yet.

I finally feel like we have the right amount of sunlight. It's funny living here. It goes from one extreme to another. From short winter days with only a few hours of daylight to summer with the midnight sun. It is truly amazing, but I find that it's hard for my body to adjust back and forth.

The kids are doing well. They miss daddy like crazy of course (as do I). Every night, they go to sleep with their "daddy dolls" tucked under their arms. Those have been the best thing that I've ever bought them. It's so nice for them to have a piece of him here. They lay down and push the button and can hear his voice. It's very comforting for them. I will have to post a new picture of them soon. They are getting very loved - I'm glad that they are washable!

Before we know it, he'll be home and we'll be together as a family again. We'll spend next Christmas with each other. We'll celebrate next years birthdays together. I will have an adult to talk to every day - which will do wonders for my sanity!

I feel good knowing that it's halfway over - and that I already made it through the "cold, dark" half. I have summer to look forward to and then he will be back :)

3 comments:

theUngourmet said...

I bet Alaska is tough in the winter. I was there in June of '85 in Soldotna. It was chilly! I did catch a 40 pound salmon though, that was sure fun!

Tara said...

Wow! This is the 2nd time today I have been led to your blog. First was I was trying to take part in Life Skills(having trouble with thew graphic). The 2nd with The Simple Woman's Daybook. I didn't even catch this morning you also took part of. As I actually stop to read this time. Found we had several things in common. My husband is no longer in the Navy but it is a feeling you never forget. One day at a time is the way to go.. Prayers your way for your family....

theUngourmet said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! That grill is really handy! I am looking into your homeschool curriculum, it looks pretty neat!