Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ancient Greece for kids

Ancient Greece has definitely been one of our favorite time periods to study. There are so many fascinating myths to read and interesting things to learn. Here I have compiled some of the resources that we have been using in our studies.

Notebooking pages:

Here are some notebooking pages I made :Greek Gods and Goddesses, Creatures of Greek Myth, and The Twelve Labors of Heracles
Here are some free Ancient Greece printables, coloring pages and puzzles from Activity Village. (I wouldn't let your child on the site though - I saw some advertising not appropriate for kids).

We also used notebooking pages from NotebookingPages.com and TheHomeschoolShop.com

Websites:
(Please note that while I have browsed through these sites, I have not looked at every page and I don't suggest that you allow your children on here without first looking for yourself! They may prove to be helpful in your studies though.)
The British Museum has a great website where you can build your own Greek temple, play a game at identifying the gods and goddesses, and much more.

Greekmythology.com has a bunch of information on the Greek myths and has links to some online literature. Here is another that is very thorough in describing who is who in Greek mythology.

Books:


Years ago, we were able to find a copy of D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths on CD. I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on it. The kids LOVE listening to it. I am not sure if it is still available for sale, but I would check your library to see if they have a copy.

Videos:
The children watched videos from the Greek Mythology for Students and Ancient Civilizations for Children series, available at Library Video, or hopefully at your local library:

No comments: