Friday, November 7, 2008

BFS: Quality is Job #1


Memory Verse: I Timothy 4:12-13 - Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

Assignment: For this assignment, tell how you and your family spend QUALITY time together.

We spend lots of quality time together as family - going on drives, doing art projects, having movie or game nights, and doing schoolwork! I have found that one of the hardest things about having 5 kids is spending special quality time with them INDIVIDUALLY.

Before Andy deployed, I tried to choose one kid at a time to be my helper if I had somewhere to go (ie. shopping or errands) just so we could get some special alone time together. Family time is great, but I find that sometimes they get "lost" in the group and don't feel like they are getting enough "mommy" time.

Andy was always really good about taking Nick to the hardware store with him to have some "Man Time". I know that they both miss that. It's hard for a little boy to be stuck in a house with 5 women :)

It's been much harder since he's been gone. I don't even have any time to myself, let alone time alone with any of the kids. We have been reading together more often, doing art projects, and they have really been enjoying playing Bingo a lot this week.

I've been trying to sneak Ellie out of bed once in a while (when everyone else is sleeping) so that she and I can play a Nancy Drew video game together. That makes her feel special and we have a lot of fun trying to solve the mysteries and puzzles.

I am thinking that I need to add special alone time with me to our schedule. I am currently schooling everyone at the same time, but it has been difficult doing 3 grades at once. I am thinking that I might give each of them a half hour alone with me so that we can work together on whatever subject they might need special help in.

When Andy returns, then we will definitely get back to trying to carve out some special alone time with each of the kids. Only 46 weeks left.... (not that I'm counting!)

No comments: