Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Mercury

Mercury
Mercury




Today we talked about Mercury.

I am using Exploring Creation With Astronomy, by Jeannie Fulbright. I just love using this book with the kids, because it reads like a story instead of a boring textbook. It includes projects (in the picture above, Ellie is making a salt-dough model of Mercury) and notebooking assignments.

I think that anyone wanting to use a Charlotte Mason style for their science curriculum would definitely enjoy this series. We used the Botany one last year and really enjoyed it.

I am amazed at how in-depth these books are for the age-level and I am impressed with what the kids are learning.

The other book we have been using as a spine is The World of Space by Dinah Zike. It includes miniature books to put together about each lesson. I really like the books, but they are very difficult to have copied (they are reproducible within your family). They are double-sided, but you can't just put them in a copier and have they print correctly, because they are bound into the book (instead of being loose leaf) and when you take it apart, they are smaller than a regular piece of paper. There ARE instructions for copying but they are very complicated in my opinion.



We simply did them one-sided and added a piece of construction paper as a cover. They are thicker than they are supposed to be, but they work :) I just wish that they were a bit more user-friendly for families with more than one kid.

No comments: