Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Extracurricular Activities

It's that time of year again. The time to start signing the kids up for various classes for the year. I have a lot of decisions to make. How busy do I want to be? What do I want to commit to? How many days a week do I want to have to leave the house? Up for consideration are: Gymnastics, Dance (Ballet, Highland, Jazz, Tap, Lyrical, Acting etc.), Piano Lessons, Swimming, Girl Scouts, PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel - for me) and a local homeschool get together (for field trips and themed days). Can I fit it all in and still be sane?

I also need to consider how much I want to spend on classes this year. I should have about $1900 of "PE money" from the charter school. That should pay for part of gymnastics and dance for the 3 girls. Also, while Andy is deployed, each child gets 4 free classes on post a year and 2 free sports registrations. Swimming is offered on post, so I wouldn't need to pay for that - 4 sessions a year is enough for me anyway. I like having a month or two break in between sessions. PWOC is free and Girl Scouts doesn't cost much at all. I also have to consider how much I am going to be spending on fuel. Andy won't be here to help pick the kids up, which means that I'm going to have to sit and wait for them to be done. If I'm sitting in the car when it's negative 30 degrees out, then I definitely have to keep it running!!!

So many decisions to make.....

No comments: