Tuesday, July 15, 2008

It was bound to happen....



Andy is gone and it was bound to happen. I was going to make a trip to the ER for something. At least it was nothing serious.

This morning, Nick opened up a cabinet in the laundry room (which is not baby-proofed because he is usually contained in the adjoining playroom - but I can no longer do that). Anyway, he pulled out an 8 pound weight and I watched in slow motion as he dropped it on his toe. Some of you may remember that last winter he dropped a can of corn on his big toe and lost his toenail. This time, he broke his toe and cut underneath it (almost but not quite requiring a stitch).

That being said, the trip to the ER was not a fun one - ok, is a trip to the ER ever fun? Luckily, my friend took Kate and Lexie and I only had Nick and Tori. We waited what seemed like forever between triage, x-rays, being sent back to a room, being seen by the doctor, and having the nurse bandage his toe/foot. I have to admit that both of the kids were great though. Nick was charming everyone in the waiting room and flirting with the triage nurse. She ended up giving him 3 popsicles over the course of our stay :) In all, we were there for about 4-5 hours. He's fine, but I am glad that I ended up taking him. Now at least I know that it is broken (the very end of his toe chipped off) and he is all bandaged up and will hopefully stay that way. He has a very bad habit of pulling off band-aids though. I am hoping that it hurts enough that he won't mess with it. He is definitely slowed down. He has only taken a few steps on it (walking on his heel). I'm sure he'll speed up a little tomorrow.

Well, it's been a long day and I think I need to get some sleep....

No comments: